CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Life is for Living

I just got off of the phone with Austin Casselman. Austin is the son of an old and dear friend of mine, Don Casselman Back in the day when we both were young, our senior year in high school, Don was the quarterback and I was the running back of the most feared tandem in the history of high school sports. At least that is how we remembered it.
After graduation I went into the US Air Force, to fight for our country's freedom and Don went to Indiana University to learn how to spell and do arithmetic, and to make a name for himself in big time football.
We went out separate ways for many years and one day I am out knocking on doors inviting people to church and telling them about the love of God. I knocked on the door at a house, on Karyn street, in Plainfield,IN (one that was just like my house in Bedford) and behold the man that answered the door was Don. He did not have time for me, or my religion, he was going to be a big star in Nashville, in the record business. We parted ways again. I promised Don that I would pray for him and he assured me that he appreciated the thought but really did not need my prayers.
Years passed and one day I received a letter in the mail (for those of you that don't know that is when you put a written paper in and envelope and send it through the United States postal system. Otherwise known as snail mail) It was from Don and he told me about getting saved and how that God had worked in his life. We got together a few years ago and he spoke to my congregation. As I listened to Don's testimony I had to laugh to myself. Who would have ever believed that Don Casselman and Steve Goens would have been sitting on a platform, in a church, telling people about Jesus. But that is just the way that God works.
Over the last several years Don and I have shared phone calls, e-mails, and jokes. He has invited me to his house and I have finally decided to go and visit Don. We will not share a meal, or trade jokes, or remember the good ol' days. Don died this morning of a massive heart attack. I will be going to his home in Nashville this week to pray with his family, and cry with them as he is laid to rest.
I just finished talking to his son a moment ago, when his son asked me "Are you the preacher that sent the Life is for Living daily devotional?" He said, "are you the counselor?" and" Are you the one that teaches the lesson on focus, when you have someone look around the room at all the red things and then ask them to look at you and name three yellow things." Yes Austin, that is me." He began to cry and said "That is the last thing that Dad and I talked about, was your daily devotional." I began to cry!! I must go now, I have tears to shed, not for an old friend-He is safe in heaven. But, for his family, that will miss him, and for those in his family yet unsaved, and for those who are reading this note, who do not know about the grace and mercy of God.
Goodbye Don, I loved you, prayed for you each day, and I will help your family and those that you loved, and those that loved you, to the very best of my God given ability.
I will do that because you and I both know that "Life is for Living," just ....
Because He Lives,
Pastor Steve Goens

0 comments: