CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, December 15, 2008

Dec. 14th, 2008

Today at the church was a wonderful day. Our attendance was up a little and we had a great time as we heard our choir performed a cantata, A Child is Born. They did a great job and I am truly thankful for the effort that is always put forth. A sweet spirit, a good time and of course, the preaching was outstanding.
In the afternoon I received a phone call from one of our faithful ladies and she was in tears. A young woman, probably in her thirties or early forties, had been found dead of an overdose. I had worked with this lady many hours and had never been able to see her overcome her demons for more that just a few months at a time. God had worked many miracles in her life, but somehow we just could never get the commitment from her that we needed. I took a few minutes for prayer for her and her family and did my best to get a hold of the family but I could not reach them. I am not sure where they live and so all I could do is pray.
Church on Sunday night went as planned as we had an auditorium full of parents, and grandparents eager to see some young, future starts of stage and screen perform. It was a blessed time. After another fantastic message we departed for the fellowship hall for some refreshments. As I was standing on the ramp, overlooking the fellowship hall, as I always do during a fellowship time, a little girl, about six or seven years old, came up to me. She tugged on my coat and asked me, "Do you remember my daddy?" ( I had buried him a little over a year ago). Yes, I replied, "I remember him very well. (He had grown up in our church, and he too fought many demons) " Well", she said, "my mommy died today!" I leaned down and put my arms around her, and held her little body in my arms. I assured her of my love and had a word of prayer with her. Through her tears, she looked up at me and asked "Will you preach her funeral?"
Many times people will ask me why I do what I do. I will answer that later, I have a message to prepare to comfort a little girl who doesn't have a father or mother, because they have both died of a hellish lifestyle! Merry Christmas, little one. I must also go to work to keep her clean and give her a longer, more blessed lifestyle. Pray that God will give me wisdom!

Because He Lives,
Pastor Steve Goens

0 comments: