CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Night Amoung Many

There are some things that I really have a hard time getting over. You would think that after all these years my heart would have gotten a little harder but thanks to God it has not.
Last Friday night my wife and I drove to the north side of Indy, some 100 miles to see our granddaughter, Avery, sing a few songs. In attendance that night was, of course, her mommy and daddy, Nana, and Pop and Aunt Agnes was there and cousins Diana, Kai and Mason. Avery came walking into the auditorium with a huge smile on her face looking all around and taking notice of all her family there. While up on stage I flashed her the I Love you sign and with her face shining with glee returned the sign. A few minutes later I blew her a kiss that was quickly returned. As she walked out from what was certainly the performance of the year, a big smile on her face, this night would be one of hundreds, maybe thousands, of her life.
After the performance we went to Starbucks, ordered hot chocolate and all toasted Avery, because tonight was her night. The smile on her face and the giggle in her voice could not be purchased for all the money in the world, it is the gift of God.
I sat at home last night, thinking about the 31 year old woman, the one that took an overdose of drugs, that left behind an 18 month old baby and one that is just 5 or 6 years old. I thought about her little girl that came to me and said "Pastor, my mommy died today, you preached my daddy's funeral, will you preach hers?"
Will she ever have one night like Avery will have thousands?
Why do I do what I do? Because there are little girls who have no one else. They must know that their pastor loves them. I could not help her mom, although God knows I tried.
But I will, by the grace of God help her.
Because He Lives,
Pastor Steve Goens

0 comments: